Our eMobility Division is currently seeking an Electrical
Engineering Specialist to join our team. This position is based at
our Southfield, MI facility. Relocation assistance
and visa sponsorship is available for a qualified
We make the electric revolution work. Every day, we work to
improve people’s lives and the environment by making power
management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and
Preparing for the electrified future of mobility takes the
passion of every employee around the world. We create
an environment where creativity, invention and discovery
become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold,
bright professionals like you can reach your full
potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
Eaton’s eMobility segment is
collaborating with companies around the globe to innovate the
transportation technologies of the future, creating efficient
vehicles that travel faster, farther, higher and safer at a lower
overall cost to the consumer and the environment.
The Electrical Engineering Specialist is responsible for
conceptualizing, lead the design, development, testing, technical
documentation, and production launch of new products for electric
motor drives and associated embedded controls. This position will
take ownership of Hardware architecture and design to meet
performance, cost, quality, features and time to market through the
collaboration with customer, venders and organization
cross-function teams. This position will support
Eaton's EV , Hybrid and 48 V Inverter product
This role also participates in system-level requirements
analysis, cost estimation, design reviews and other team
development processes. Success will require deep knowledge of power
electronics and analog circuitry design and keep abreast of new and
emerging technologies on electrical components, packaging and
materials. Along with utilization of appropriate CAD tools to
design and analyze product functionality and integrity in order to
facilitate rapid deployment cycle and time to the market
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every
employee around the world. We create an environment where
creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every
day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your
full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Define and lead the most challenging technical projects in a
self-directed manner, perform challenging assignments with minimal
guidance, understand the business impact of your decisions, and
mentor other engineers.
- Develop strategic hardware architecture and technology road map
to reach profitable business growth.
- Lead technical discussion and design review with customer,
vendors and cross-function groups
- Analyze new materials, components, technologies, applications
and their appropriate use within our product lines
- Provide technical documentation for schematic design, PCB
layout, DFMEA, simulation and test results
- Develop test and validation plan in accordance to industry
standards and customer requirements
- Provide supervision and support to internal and external design
resources when appropriate
- Lead and conduct worst case analysis and EMI/EMC
- Successfully lead contractors and other resources either
co-located or at international locations
- Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship
with key customers and vendors
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and
backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as
a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Power
Electronics from an accredited institution .
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience with power electronics in
embedded drive systems .
- Minimum one (1) year experience with gate driver inverter
Position Success Criteria:
- Master’s Degree in power electronics from an accredited
- Experience Knowledge using DFSS and DFx practices:
Manufacturing, Test, Repair, Quality, etc.
- Experience with model-based design methods and simulation
- Working knowledge of communication serial data protocols (CAN,
CANFD, J1939, Flex Ray) and tools (CANape, CANalyzer, CANopen,
- Supervising other engineering tasks (assembly drawings, PCB
layout, software development, validation testing) .
- PCBA and Final Product Testing experience .
- Good understanding of SMPS and various converter topology with
close loop control .
- Broad knowledge and application of Microprocessor, DSP and FPGA
in motor control driving systems .
- Experience with CAD software package such as SPICE, Allegro,
Simplis, Ansys, Matlab/Simulink and PCB layout guidance .
- Develop and conduct HIL verification testing .
- Knowledge of EMC/EMI design and qualification requirement
including Ansys simulation.
- Good understanding of vehicle markets and the environmental
requirements and related qualification testing required
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly with respect to written
and oral communication
- Ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a hands-on laboratory environment with
common lab equipment (O-scopes, DMMs, Network and Spectrum
analyzers, Dynamometers, mechanics tools, etc.)
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for
all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based
upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national
origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected
veteran status, or any other status protected by law
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the
technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical
services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find
one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is
dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with
power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient,
safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are
confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes
that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable,
efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These
values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the
planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton
facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from
within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time